The nature of mold allows it to grow on virtually any surface in your home. In some cases, mold growth is quite obvious and easy to identify. However, that is not always the case. Mold spores can travel into hidden areas, and as long as there is an adequate moisture source, dead organic matter, and warm temperatures, the mold will begin to germinate and develop into a big problem. Hidden mold development can be easy to overlook.
Keys Signs of Indoor Mold Growth in Pennsylvania
When it comes to dealing with mold development in an Eastern PA home or business, time is very important. It only takes 24-48 hours for mold to develop once moisture is introduced to the environment. The best way to avoid extensive and costly mold damage is immediate attention. If you pay attention to the warning signs and take immediate action upon the detection of mold, you can save yourself a great deal of stress and money down the road.
- Mold growth can be black, white, grey, brown or green in color.
- It can be powdery in texture or appear in small splotches.
- Often times, mold will be accompanied by suspicious staining or discoloration.
- Basements, attics, and crawl spaces are commonly damp environments that can be the ideal breeding ground for the following: basement mold in PA, attic mold in PA, crawl space mold in PA.
- Homeowners should make it regular routine to assess all areas of the home (including the basement, attic, and crawl space) for any visual indicators of mold growth.
- If you see suspicious growths or unexplained staining/discoloration in your property, contact a mold professional to conduct a mold inspection in Eastern PA.
- If mold is developing in a hidden space (i.e: wall voids, under carpet, behind wallpaper, above ceiling tiles, etc.), there may not be any visual indicators of mold growth.
- Mold releases a pungent, earthy odor that can be rather off-putting. You should take action immediately upon detection of the odor.
- The odors can be permeating through flooring and walls, so be sure to check for signs of water damage in all adjacent areas/rooms.
- During your investigation, DO NOT open up walls, peel up wallpaper, or rip of carpeting without proper containment. You may risk disrupting the mold spores and cause cross-contamination to clean, unaffected areas.
- If you smell musty odors from an area with a history of moisture problems, call a professional. Even if there are no visual signs of mold, there could be extensive hidden mold growth that should be handled by a trained professional.
- The presence of mold can be determined by any unexplained health symptoms.
- Depending on the individuals living in the home, mold exposure can manifest several symptoms:
- Allergy symptoms–sneezing, runny/stuffy nose, coughing, itchy eyes, etc.
- Asthmatic symptoms–coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath
- Irritant reactions– rashes, itchiness, swelling (similar to allergies)
- Symptoms can range from very mild to very severe. And you might notice that you will start to feel better if you are out of your home for a while.
- If you and your family feel sick in your home and cannot explain the cause, it could be the symptoms of mold exposure.
- To be certain, contact a mold professional to conduct a comprehensive mold inspection with mold testing.
History of Moisture Issues
- There needs to be an adequate moisture source in order for mold to colonize and spread. Signs of water damage can be the first indicator of potential mold development.
- Mold does not always require a major leak or flooding to develop. In fact, humidity or condensation can be plenty of moisture to encourage mold growth.
- Moisture problems should be addressed immediately to avoid severe mold development.
- Water should be extracted, and the area should be thoroughly and properly dried out.
- Humid rooms should be well ventilated to encourage constant air circulation.
- If you know of areas in your home that have suffered from water issues and you are detecting potential signs of mold activity, contact a professional mold removal company in PA to quickly and safely handle the mold.
Once you know that your home has a mold problem, don’t wait. Hire a reputable mold removal company that can safely and efficiently restore your proper and your family’s peace of mind. Be proactive in preventing mold growth in your home with moisture control tactics. In order to spot mold early in its development, take the time to routinely check your home for potential signs of mold growth.
For professional mold remediation services in Philadelphia and its surrounding counties, call Mastertech of Eastern PA today at 1-215-876-7037!